With the recent announcement of Rachel Reinert of Gloriana splitting from the band, and the not-so-recent departure of Zayn Malik from One Direction anyone with access to entertainment television or Buzzfeed have probably looked back at other artists who went solo, but since I already broke the Gloriana news this week I figured we might as well take a look back at other artists who went solo and hit it big.
- Gwen Stefani left No Doubt to pursue a solo career which has included Holla Back Girl and recently I Used to Love You.
- Lindsey Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac to go it solo.
- Fergie has reunited with The Black Eyed Peas on a few occasions but did leave the group to bring us tracks like Glamorous, Big Girls Don’t Cry and Fergalicious on her own.
- Beyoncé broke my little girl heart when she opted for a solo career instead of continuing to be a Survivor with Destiny’s Child. She made it up to me with Run the World, Single Ladies, and Diva and even more so with the Destiny’s Child reunion at her Super Bowl performance.
- Former N’Sync heartthrob Justin Timberlake broke a million hearts first when he left the boyband and then again when his relationship with Brittney Spears ended.
- Stevie Nicks also left Fleetwood Mac for a solo career when the band dissolved.
- John Lennon and Paul McCartney both opted for solo careers after the Beatles. Giving them renown fame for both their careers with the band and solo.
- Darius Rucker took a step away from Hootie and the Blowfish and opted for a solo career in country music with hits like Wagon Wheel leading him into solo stardom.
- Kelly Rowland also found success after Destiny’s Child decided to split and got to relive those glory days with the three of them performing together again during Beyonce’s Super Bowl halftime show.
- Last but not least, Michael Jackson. Though we often forget he did get his start in a band with his siblings The Jackson 5. Though he skyrocketed to fame as a solo artist, hits like ABC still get the group acclaim today.
While Zayn Malik is prepping for Z016 and Rachel Reinert prepares for her first move as a solo artist we can look at these success stories and hope for the best!
[Image from stars.topix.com]